Resident ownership begins with opportunity - so we begin by looking for "for sale" communities where resident ownership looks possible and likely. Our general process, therefore, is to:
- Find ‘for sale’ communities;
- Assess the economics of the community operation and if it is a good match for resident ownership, get consent of seller to approach homeowners;
- Bring homeowners together to see if they want to assess a purchase as a group;
- Help homeowners build a not-for-profit democratic organization to make decisions, including hiring a lawyer and analyzing the community’s operating numbers and condition;
- Support democratic decision-making on whether and how to purchase the community;
- Help resident corporation secure due diligence (like hiring an engineer) and seek financing;
- Help organize the real estate transfer;
- Provide technical support and training for start-up; and
- Welcome you into the ROC USA® Community of resident-owned communities!
A Certified Technical Assistance Provider will provide resident corporations with training and material support during the purchase and afterwards.
All Certified Technical Assistance Providers are non-profit organizations which have been trained and certified by ROC USA Network to help resident corporations form, analyze and purchase their communities. We call this “pre-purchase technical assistance.”
Network Certified Technical Assistance Providers have successfully supported resident corporation purchases over 100 times and helped secure over $175 million in financing.
For resident corporations who become successful buyers/owners, these same Certified Technical Assistance Providers provide “post-purchase technical assistance” to help groups get set up and mature through the first several years. As well, the Certified Technical Assistance Provider will provide important linkages to community leaders in other resident-owned communities in the area.
When it comes to financing, ROC USA Capital is one source that the Certified Technical Assistance Provider will assess during the pre-purchase phase, however, it is not the only one. All Certified Technical Assistance Providers seek to help resident corporations secure the best possible financing for the particular need and community.
Only resident corporations supported by Certified Technical Assistance Providers are eligible to apply to ROC USA Capital. By drawing on socially-motivated institutional investors, ROC USA Capital is able to finance up to 105 percent of the purchase price in order to make resident ownership possible even for groups of modest means.